In 1850 Richard Dickeson & Co. won a contract to supply the British Army with food and was soon operating over a hundred regimental grocery stores, as well as becoming the sole agent to the War Office for pipeclay. The company had warehouses in London, Aldershot, Dublin, Plymouth, Pretoria and Gibraltar.
Richard Dickeson was mayor of Dover in the 1870s and was knighted in 1884 for his public service. Sir Richard died in 1900 but his company continued until at least 1914.
by Mark Matlach